Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Picture of Dorian Gray, historical relevance.

In the time period in which this book was written, it seems to me that the social class of someone was very important. In, The Picture of Dorian Gray, many of the characters are of a higher class. You hear many terms such as “Lord”, “Lady”, and “Sir” all throughout the book. When you read in history books, this also seems to be true. Things did not seem to be quite as fair back then as they are now.

I find this novels significance in its simple timelessness. Though it seemed like a pleasure novel, you learn something new with everything you read. As far as I could tell, and I’m not much of a history person, the book was accurately written. The dialogue and scenes seem as though they would fit in in the time period in which it was written. Certain social issues are also addressed. It seems to me, that appearance was very important to some people, such as Dorian Gray (obviously). I am not sure if appearances were quite that important back then, but they definitely were in this book. The Picture of Dorian Gray was not only enjoyable, but it was educational as well. I really enjoyed it.


Wilde, Oscar. Picture of Dorian Gray. Pleasantville, NY: Reader's Digest Association, 2007. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment