Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Catching my attention, Good Readers and Good Writers.

Throughout this essay, many things caught my attention and were enjoyable to me. The first thing I really liked about the essay was the way he made simple suggestions, such as needing to "notice and fondle details". Another idea I enjoyed while reading the essay was the way he wrote in questions. Nabokov would start his newest idea by asking a question. He would then proceed to answer the question in the following paragraph. This was intriguing to me.
More specifically, I enjoyed specific passages more than others. I found the paragraph that Nabokov wrote about only being able to "reread" interesting. He compares reading with viewing a piece of art, though reading a book takes time. It takes energy, repetition, and the mind (Nabokov 1-2). He says that mind is the sole most important element in reading. I also like how he made reference the other works, such as the boy crying wolf. That re-caught my attention. This helped me refocus and catch my interest. This moves into the final passage I found strongly interesting. That passage is the one in which he speaks of the three points of view that must be considered. The whole essay had highlights and low lights, the above mentioned were the highlights for me.



Nabokov, Vladimir Vladimirovich, and Fredson Bowers. "Good Readers and Good Wrtiters."Lectures on Literature. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1980. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment