Thursday, July 21, 2011

Notes, "Why Read the Classics?"

Important stuffs.

Reading a novel for the first time as an adult is a great pleasure. p.4 par.2

by the middle of page 4, we learn that the author thinks one needs time to grow into the maturity it takes to fully understand and appreciate a classic novel.

Reading in our youth can give form and shape to our futures. It gives us ideas on how to handle future situations and life experiences. Reading as a youth can also prove to be less than beneficial, because, a young mind cannot always comprehend the words in which it may be reading.

"A classic is a book which even when we read it for the first time gives the sense of rereading something we have read before." p.5 par. 4

I really think that as the essay goes on, I am going to continue liking it more and more. The more I read, the more I like the way Calvino writes. I enjoy the thoughts and ideas that are portrayed in “Why Read the Classics?”. New ideas and thoughts are opened up all throughout the essay. I am really enjoying the essay so far, and I am off to continue reading, right about now.

Calvino, Italo. "Why Read the Classics?" Why Read the Classics? London: Vintage, 2000. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment