Saturday, July 23, 2011

“Why Read the Classics?” Arousing a Reaction

There were many things I liked about the way this essay was written. I really liked how the author took time to thoroughly describe each topic he brought up. Calvino would give what he described as a “definition” for a classic; he would then proceed to explain exactly what that meant. I also really liked how explanatory he was, as well as detail oriented. I feel like “Why Read the Classics?” was written similarly to “Good Readers and Good Writers” in the fact that they were both very descriptive, as well as the way they were written. Both essays began each topic with a statement, followed by a good description of that topic. I really enjoy this writing style. I think that the detail and time given in this writing style is what draws my attention, as well as “arouses a reaction”. One of my personal favorite statements in the essay “Why Read the Classics?” is the one about literature forming the future of youths, because I find this to be very true. When you read something, it sticks in your mind whether you realize it or not. Because of this, you may subconsciously remember a situation in a book that is similar to one you may be in. I believe I enjoyed the essay “Why Read the Classics” a bit more than “Good Readers and Good Writers”.


Calvino, Italo. "Why Read the Classics?" Why Read the Classics? New York: Vintage, 2000. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment