Friday, July 15, 2011

Organization, "Good Readers and Good Writers"

I personally am a fan of the way in which Nabokov wrote and organized this essay. In the beginning it is organized in simple paragraphs to inform, but as you keep reading, you enter into a question and answer organization. He starts the next idea with a question, such as, "So what is the authentic instrument to be used by the reader?", or "Can we expect to glean information about places and times from a novel?". The then proceeds to answer the question in the following paragraph or two. I like this because it allows me to take a minute and think about what I am about to read. This also helps keep my interest and attention. If Nabokov had simply just started writing in a simple organization such a cause and effect, or chronological order of when he learned these things, I would have lost interest very quickly. If I cannot focus and stay at least slightly interested, I will never finish whatever it is I am trying to read. For the type of reading this was, I am glad it was organized as it was. So long as he writes in the same style, I would be interested in looking into some of his other work in the future.


Nabokov, Vladimir Vladimirovich, and Fredson Bowers. Lectures on Literature. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1980. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment