Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thesis- "Good Readers and Good Writers"

A thesis, to some, may be considered one of the most important sentences or ideas in the entire work. As in this essay, it may come at the beginning of the writing. In "Good Readers and Good Writers" the statement that caught my attention was, "In reading, one should notice and fondle details." (Nabokov 1). This prepared me for the rest of the essay. This is also very important to the content of the essay. All throughout, Nabokov talks about the things you need to be a good reader and writer. Detail is very important. I believe that statement was placed at the beginning of the essay to let the readers of his own work quickly learn what it was that they were going to be reading about, in more detail than which the title gives. As the thesis, it also catches my attention, as it should any reader. It was a strong statement that encouraged me to continue on with my reading. This thesis is also a good "opener". In other words, it opens the mind to many different possible topics. I think it is very clever, attention drawing, and attention keeping. I give my applause to him.


Nabokov, Vladimir Vladimirovich, and Fredson Bowers. Lectures on Literature. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1980. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment