Monday, July 25, 2011

Reaction, "Why Read the Classics?"

“Why Read the Classics” was a very well written essay. I really enjoyed it, and I think many others would as well. The essay was well written, and it kept my attention. In return, I had a very good and positive reaction. As I was reading, I found myself somewhat becoming “lost” so to speak, in the essay. I had an educational experience as well as a virtuous experience. There were very few times in which I no longer wanted to finish the essay, and I was always interested while reading. I was also a bit surprised at the fact that I was enjoying the essay. Unfortunately, I had fallen victim to what Nabokov says specifically not to do in his essay, “Good Readers and Good Writers”. I arrived with a preconceived determination that I was going to dread the essay I was about to dive into reading (Nabokov 1). Luckily, I was very wrong. I enjoy the fact that I can learn something new with every piece of literature I read. Every piece of reading material is a new adventure, and a new experience. I really think I will enjoy challenging myself, and this was a good way to set that wheel in motion.


Calvino, Italo. "Why Read the Classics?" Why Read the Classics? New York: Vintage, 2000. Print.
Nabokov, Vladimir Vladimirovich, and Fredson Bowers. "Good Readers and Good Wrtiters."Lectures on Literature. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1980. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment